Roof repairs are a necessity that needs to be taken care of at one point or another. Roof repairs take time and money. The money part is usually the most worrying for many homeowners, which is justified because depending on the scope of the problem, roof repairs can cost a lot. No one wants to be surprised by a huge bill at the end of the repair. That is why it’s a good idea to have an estimate first and then schedule the job with the contractor. But how do you ask for an estimate? How are estimates even done? Should you even care? If you have any of these questions then don’t go away, keep reading.
Why should you ask for a roof repair estimate?
Aside from the fact that it’s better not to have a surprise bill, estimates also allow you to choose between contractors. Why spend more if you can save, right? If it is not an urgent problem and you have the time to research and get estimates from different contractors, then definitely use that opportunity. The difference can be a lot.
What is done to create a roof repair estimate?
You talked to a contractor and they said that they do provide estimates. It’s good news, but what does it mean? Well, to estimate the costs of the roof repair, the experts will do the following things:
- Careful inspection – you know something is wrong with your roof, but you are not sure what so, the technicians will inspect, find the cause of the problem, and based on that, they’ll give you an estimate price of the necessary repair.
- Options – usually there is more than one way of repairing your roof, so the contractor should explain to you the issue and all the possible solutions with their prices.
- Written estimate – at the end of the inspection, the contractor should write down everything including their estimated pricing so that you can make the final decision on your own.
Hints and tips to ask the inspector
As a homeowner you don’t have a passive role in this process. You should ask questions, get clarifications that will help you understand the problem and weigh the pros and cons of each repair option that the contractor gives you. Here are some questions that you should ask to the contractor:
- Was it the only issue that your roof had?
- How long will the repair take?
- Will that issue lead to other more serious ones further down the line?
- What kind of weather conditions are favorable for the repair?
- How can I be sure that I won’t need a second repair after yours?
- Do you give warranty?
Getting a roof repair estimate won’t take a long time but it will spare you a lot of time and energy in the future. For a free estimate, call Roof Repair Specialist today! Our inspector will be transparent with the repairs they recommend and send you an estimate within 24 hours of the appointment.