Roofing Materials and longevity
- Generally, the standard asphalt shingles have 20 years of longevity.
- If you decide to choose 30-year shingles, so they should last for 25 to 30 years, of course in the case of proper maintenance.
- Regarding the metal roof, they last for about 50 years with good care.
- Slate roofs could last for 100 years and more with routine maintenance.
Supposing, your roof needs sooner replacement than you expected, what should you do and which are the reasons?
- The main reason is the weather patterns, like a thunderstorm, hailstorm, or wind storm. Sure they could damage the shingles.
- Walking on the roof can also bring sooner damage.
- Not cleaning the gutters or allowing tree limbs to scrape against the roof can lead to leaks and premature roof failure.
The Guarantees of Manufacturing Companies
Some roofing/shingle manufacturing companies in Los Angeles CA offer a guarantee. Before accepting this attractive offer it is important to understand the terms and conditions of the guarantee.
If the installers used the wrong fasteners or failed to place the correct type of underlay or sheathing before laying the tiles, the manufacturer may not fulfill the warranty.
In most cases, the manufacturer’s guarantee covers only the materials and not the cost of labor.
In conclusion, it is important to pay big attention to the condition of your roof. Find a time and only one day per month, stand outside and look at all sides of the roof. If a damaging storm passes through the area, contact your roofer for a prompt inspection. This approach can prevent roof failure.